Wednesday 28 August 2013

Eric Ravilious at Bridport Arts Centre

Eric Ravilious, Interior at Furlongs, 1939
Next Saturday (14th Sept) I'm giving an illustrated talk on Eric Ravilious at Bridport Arts Centre, which is an exciting prospect. For one thing I'll have an opportunity to talk at length about the Cerne Abbas Giant, which Ravilious painted in 1939, but I also plan to give an all-round picture of his life and work, with pictures of his wood engravings, lithos and ceramics (much sought-after these days) as well as lots of his downland watercolours.

Ravilious had a lovely sense of humour and led a fairly unconventional life, so I hope the evening will be entertaining as well as visually stimulating. Here's what illustrator Lucy Auge thought of my recent lecture in Bristol. Do come along!

Eric Ravilious, Greenhouse: Cyclamen and Tomatoes, 1934





No comments: